Thursday, September 09, 2004

Dubya - Why?

At last week's Republican convention, George Bush included a couple of self-deprecating comments in his nomination acceptance speech:

"People sometimes have to correct my English - I knew I had a problem when
Arnold Schwarzenegger started doing it. Some folks look at me and see a certain
swagger, which in Texas is called walking."


A good line, but shouldn't we be concerned? Would any other politician running for the most powerful job on the planet admit that his language skills aren't up to those of an Austrian actor?

"You may have noticed I have a few flaws too."

Ain't that the truth, George. Like stealing the 2000 election, surrendering the environment and workers' rights to the big business interests, cutting taxes for the rich, dragging the world into a destabilising and unneccessary war, gutting education provisions, dodging military service (and going AWOL from the soft option)....


"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"
Reading the text of the speech and not just the humourous soundbites that made the headline news, I'm reminded of Neil Kinnock's famous speech in advance of the 1983 election. He said that if the Tories win,
"I warn you not to be ordinary, I warn you not to be young, I warn you not to fall ill, and I warn you not to grow old. "
That seems to be good advice for Americans. More deregulation, environmental threats, reform to social security and protecting big companies from consumer lawsuits are all trailed in this speech.

No comments: