Monday, February 19, 2007

Mullaney tagged

Not that I'd ever accuse the Liberal Democrats of inconsistency, but Martin Mullaney is surely cruising for a bruising from John Hemming (you remember, the Superstud MP of this parish).

Long term readers may recall a spat I had with him when he spoke his brains over a graffiti art project run as a diversionary project in Quinton in Birmingham. He accused Labour of funding the teaching of children to do graffiti and said that 'intuitively this seems wrong.'
'It just brings out the Victor Meldrew in me - I can't believe it... It is simply brain dead to teach them how to spray better graffiti.'

Now it seems that one of his own, the Lib Dem councillor and redoubtable anti-graffiti campaigner Martin Mullaney, is to start a similar project, with £1800 of funding from the Neighbourhood Renewal Fund and the backing of all three councillors in Moseley and Kings Heath. One of whom is Emily Cox.

Yes. THAT Emily Cox.

So, is Martin Mullaney brain dead?

I think we should be told.

3 comments:

martin mullaney said...

The scheme in Moseley will be membership only. Anyone we know is tagging will not be allowed access to the facilites.

Anonymous said...

It still smacks of hypocrisy if you ask me.

PoliticalHack said...

I have no problem at all with the scheme - it makes complete sense and similar operations work around the world in attempts to reduce graffiti vandalism.

I just can't see any significant difference between the Moseley and Quinton projects, so I'm expecting Cllr Hemming to be consistent and to criticise your decision.

I suspect I'll be waiting a loooonngg time.