Sunday, February 03, 2008

Bad choice of words



Derek Conway has given an interview to the Mail in which he reassured us that he 'is not a crook.'

Now where have I heard that before??? Oh yes - I remember.

Possibly not the best example to chose as a political point of reference. Unaware of the ancient teaching - when in hole, stop digging, Derek makes a heartfelt plea on behalf of his soon-to-be-former colleagues for more cash. Hey - he's got a daughter to support as well!

'An MP is paid less than the sous chef at the Commons. Many people may think 60 grand is the right level for an MP – most MPs would not.'
Somehow, I don't think this is quite the right moment to make a stand for a payrise, Derek.

He also says that

I still believe I have done nothing wrong

which rather runs counter to his statement to the House this week:

The Committee was entitled to reach the conclusions that it did and I have accepted its criticisms in full. I unreservedly apologise to the House for my administrative shortcomings and the misjudgments I made.
Apparently his son, Freddie, studying at Newcastle University

would go up and down like a fiddler's elbow while he was away.
I remember what it was like to be at university too....


But wait - Bob 'Send them back' Spink, the charmingly moderate Tory MP for Castle Point in Essex, has been employing his ex-wife (from her Dorset home), his daughter and his ex-lover's daughter. That office must be a soap opera scriptwriter's dream.

2 comments:

Praguetory said...

As well as the old Khalid-Elaina arrangement I note that Clare employs her abandoned son Toby Graham. Were those the two you were alluding to on the Stirrer?

Praguetory said...

You don't have to answer.